Friday, August 16, 2019

MCRR President's Corner

I am honored to have been chosen to become the President of MCRR. This has happened before, and now they want me back. Ain't that something?

As President, I contribute to the club newsletter in the form of the monthly President's Corner articles. Here is the first installment. I think you'll like it.



Now that I’m here, we’re going to turn this team around 360 degrees ~ Jason Kidd, as he was drafted to the then-lowly Dallas Mavericks


Thank you for your service. Yes, you’ve heard that before. In this case, it applies to your current and past members of the MCRR Board. These folks devote their time and effort to make MCRR the great running club that it is. This is volunteerism at its best. Excuse me, but I’m going to get personal. These personal thank-yous are in no particular order.


Christy Wilmoth: Thank you for stepping up to fulfill the job of President. I know you have a busy life and you probably didn’t need another place to spend your time. But you did serve us well. I’m happy you’re still on the Board. I plan to rely heavily on your experience.


Beth Bugner: You’re new on the Board, but of course you’re familiar to all of us. With your dedication to the Half-Marathon, the MCRR Scholarship, gobs of other things, and now the Board, you are the best of the best. What a great role model you are.


Harold Dravenstott: You’ve taken the Treasurer Role on for another year, and no amount of appreciation is adequate for that. It’s nearly a thankless job (except that I’m thanking you now), but it’s oh so necessary. You make it look easy, but I know it isn’t. Thanks for all your other volunteerism as well.


Tim Pepe: Welcome to the Board. I am certain you will provide very valuable contributions, as you bring your running experience and MCRR friends into the mix. I know you volunteer for a lot, and it’s grand that you’re joining us here as well. (By the way, since you missed the meeting, you’re lucky that you weren’t chosen to be President.)


Michelle Wolff: It’s hard to remember a time when you were not on the Board. And you do another job that’s not an easy one: that of Secretary. You’ve always been the most supreme of volunteers. MCRR (and I, your running partner) would be lost without you.


Karen Hammon: I believe you’re yet another person who is invaluable to the club. As Vice President, you do all kinds of stuff that no one else is willing to take on. I am so happy that you’re staying on in this role. Prepare to be leaned on. A lot.


Sydney Chinchana: You have made the newsletter great again. Greater than ever, in fact. I very much look forward to that thing coming to my email each month. When it does arrive, I read every word as if my life depends on it. I suppose it does to some degree since running is my life. You have become a valuable member of our Board, and also the entire club. For everyone else in the club, if you don’t already know Sydney, get that changed right away.


None of this is to say that there aren’t a whole lot of other fantastic folks in the club. I wish I could name all of you right here and now. Suffice it to say that your volunteering efforts are indeed appreciated.



As for me, it’s an honor to be on the Board and even more so to be chosen to serve as President again. I promise to do my best to help keep the lights on and to try to avoid doing anything truly stupid. I know. It’s a stretch. I do plan to focus on making running fun and fulfilling for all of us. It’s why we’re all here.


Volunteering and doing good things. It’s what makes MCRR great.

No comments: