Friday, February 28, 2020

30A

When it comes to long runs, planning and preparation are paramount ~ Dan Horvath

Ain't it the truth? Like the other day when I returned to Conservation Park a second time and did not one, but two 9.5 mile loops all the way around. I'd planned that one out to the smallest detail, and it actually worked out. Today would be an exception, however.

A long run today, even though I just did one four days ago? Maybe. 2 more loops around Conservation Park? Maybe. Okay, no. Three of the six-mile course loops from the hotel? Maybe. Okay, probably. Except when I started out west, I failed to take Southfields Road North to do that course. I kept going to the end of Front Beach Road and turned left onto Route 98. Why run on the side of a four-lane 65-mph highway at 5:00 AM? I have no idea.

But when I got past Camp Helen State Park, I discovered, of all things, a sidewalk! I could keep going and even stay relatively safe! A minute later I learned that I had entered Walton County, where, it seems, they care a little more about pedestrians.

After a mile or so, I came to Route 30A. Having driven this way (it runs parallel with 98, but closer to the shore), I knew the sidewalk / all-purpose trail would continue. The question was, should I continue?

Proper planning and preparation would have had me returning to the Beachside Resort for water at least every hour or so. There is also the safety consideration of never being too far away should something go very wrong. To run nine miles away before returning amounts to taking a bit of a chance. Especially considering that I had been running so much lately (another planning and preparation thing). As you may have guessed by now, I did indeed turn left to keep going.

30A is a thing. We learned that by driving the length of it by accident once. It's a big, very expensive thing. The wealth and newness of everything is astounding. Town after town seems brand new or just being built. And homes and condos are priced from $300,000 to $10,000,000 and up.

Would I be able to run as far as Grayton Beach, where we had visited a couple weeks back? I had no idea how far it was. But I knew I was getting closer.

Still running slow, but okay, I made it as far as Deer Lake State Park and turned back. Now, how would that go? It went surprisingly okay. This would (probably) be my slowest long run of the several I've done in PCB, but it was a memorable one.

No comments: