Thursday, April 23, 2020

My Aldi Shoes


I needed running shoes, and there I was at Aldi, minding my own business when these babies popped off the shelf and into my cart. Running shoes (okay, "trainers") for $12.99! I figure that that's ~10% of what other running shoes cost, so all I need to do is get ~10% of my usual mileage (say, 30 or so) on them. Like my "Dan Logic?" I'll let you all know how this little experiment works out.

This, at least, is what I had posted in Facebook a month and a half ago. I received a lot of fun comments. Some said I should buy them out and corner the market. But most warned me to not get injured. A week or so later, I posted this comment: 

Okay, that was dumb. After 6 mill miles, my AT was acting up, so I quit. I may try them again sometime with some decent orthotic insoles. They're probably no worse for me than any other minimalist shoes. You know the kind... the kind I shouldn't wear. Ever.

But then a funny thing happened. I did insert my Superfeet insoles, and this made a whale of a difference! Now the shoes felt good, before, during, and after my runs. In fact, I love them! I now have over 60 miles on them, so I've doubled their expected lifespan.

They are, unfortunately, wearing out. The midsole rubber is wearing down in the heel area of both shoes. So They won't go much longer. But it's been a really good ride.


No comments: