Sunday, April 19, 2020

The Birds is Coming

Word has it that when Alfred Hitchcock's film The Birds was about to come out for the first time, he wanted it promoted as, The Birds is Coming, rather than, The Birds ARE Coming. When you think about it, it actually makes some kind of sense, even though that way of saying it may not have been the initial one. And it seems a little more creepy his way.

The birds is indeed coming, this being spring and all. Every morning, they're singing up a storm in my neighborhood as I begin my run. And I've had a few minor encounters of late.

Last week a wild turkey ran (it didn't fly) across the road in front of me. I stopped to watch where it was going and why (I know. To get to the other side), but it skittered off into the woods. Turkeys are more common these days, but it's still a little unusual to see one.

Then I encountered a goose. Canada (not necessarily Canadian) Geese are very common in these parts, and they can be pretty aggressive this time of the year. I could tell this one, probably guarding a nearby nest, was going to be trouble by its demeanor. I find that they will usually begrudgingly get out of the way as I approach if I don't show fear. I didn't, and Mrs. Goose did move out of my way, hissing as it waddled. But then I looked back to see the thing flying directly at me. It was downright frightening. What did I do, you ask? I yelled and waved my arms, of course. Mrs. Goose changed course and veered off. I couldn't help wonder what it would have done to me if I hadn't turned. It was only then that I looked around to make sure no other humans were watching and laughing.

Then came yesterday. I saw an owl fly over the road, just in front of me. It landed in a tall nearby tree, so I stopped to check it out. I like owls; I think they're cool. But then I remembered another owl attack that occurred a few years ago. I thought about this owl that was now looking down at me, wondering if I were a large rodent. I decided to move on, just in case.


No comments: