Friday, May 21, 2021

AT Surgery

A little over seven years ago, I began to experience pain in the back of my heel. Of course running seemed to be the cause, but walking and even driving also appear to be culprits. Since then, the pain has subsided at times, but a lot of driving, as well as intense or long runs often bring it back in full swing. It’s always there at some level.


It was diagnosed as Achilles Tendinitis. Over these years, I tried all kinds of non-invasive medical treatments, acupuncture, physical therapy, taping, and a variety of drugs and ointments (ibuprofen works best). Nothing seems to work completely. Even when I don’t run, I still experience pain from walking or driving. Of course, when I do run, the pain is that much worse, mostly afterward.


Being sick and tired of hobbling so much, I’ve decided to get surgery to try to fix the problem. It’s next week. I’m told to expect a recovery of about nine months. I hope that after that, I will be able to run again. Maybe even pain-free.


To my running friends, it’ll be like I am in quarantine again. I’ll miss you all.

No comments: