Friday, December 24, 2021

Feels Like

Weather forecasters often talk about 'feels like' temperatures, usually with wind (if it's cold) or humidity (if it's hot) factored in. Runners can consider a run that feels like it was longer or faster than it really was for some reason (the weather, being out of shape, having run too many consecutive days, etc.). With this in mind, we can say that today's running 'felt like' much faster and farther than it really was.

Can we blame the weather? No, it was in the forties and that was wonderful. Was it from being tired from yesterday's run? Nope, I didn't run yesterday. Was it from being out of shape? Okay, now we're getting somewhere.

It's Christmas Eve, and it's Medina. My running buddies and I are starting out from the Square, following the Medina Half-Marathon course. We know we won't be running the whole shebang today, but this is as good a direction as any. I'm thrilled to be able to stay with the bunch. We're clicking off sub-11-minute miles, something that would have been impossible for me just a couple short weeks ago.

Yes, I know. An 11-minute mile a year ago would have seemed extremely pedestrian to Dan, the good runner. But that was then, this is now. And it 'feels' fast. In fact, I am quite happy with the pace so far. That is, until I get tired.

It didn't take long. Three to four miles in, I'm hitting the wall. It feels like it did when I'd run 22 or more miles in the old days. But this is the new days. I struggle, yet manage to keep going, stay with the group, and finish the six-miler at the Square.

Yes, it felt like it was longer (much longer) and faster. But I'll take it. (What were the other choices?)

No comments: