Thursday, July 14, 2022

Today's Tempo Trot in backwards order

Mile 10: This is just awful. Will I even be able to finish? I'm sure it's my slowest mile, and the tiny little final uphill portion on my street is nearly enough to make me stop and walk. Okay. I finally make it to the house.

Mile 9: Even though I've got some downhill portions, this is not going well at all.

Mile 8: I can't believe how much I slowed down. It seems like the moment I started back home from the track, it got bad. Then, step by step, it got worse. Then, much worse. I wish I could just stop, but I've got to get home anyway.

Mile 7: This mile is not nearly as fast as the last three, but it's still going to be under ten minutes, so I can still consider it part of the tempo portion of the run. I'd been worried that I would get kicked off the track, but I'm still the only one here. I've got no excuse, and it seems that I need none. But that run home for the final 3 will probably be a challenge.

Mile 6: This is shaping up to be the best of the 3 tempo-ish paced miles here at the track. After it's done, I'll take it easy. Okay, easy-er.

Mile 5: For some reason, this mile starts slower than the last one. I have some catching up to do, but I manage to speed up and do it. The time (8:46) is identical to Mile 4.

Mile 4: The track is OPEN!!!! I hadn't expected that! I'd figured on running around Brunswick, and I'd been wondering whether I would be able to make that into a tempo run. But now that the track is available, I can do it here. This is great! Perhaps over-enthusiastically, I run this mile not only faster than ten-minute pace, but even faster than nine-minute pace. It doesn't feel too awful. But... Will I be able to continue?

Mile 3: It's time to decide whether to head towards Brunswick Lake or North Park. I pick North Park. My pace is improving.

Mile 2: It's humid, but I'm slowly picking up the pace.

Mile 1: I am out the door. It's later than I'd have liked, but I'm feeling pretty good. Maybe I will be able to get that tempo run in after all. I decide to head up and across 303. That way I can put the decision off (at least for a couple miles) as to whether to go to Brunswick Lake, North Park, or whatever. I hope it will go okay.

No comments: