Friday, July 01, 2022

Breakfast is served



Mom: "Hey kids, wake up. See that bright light coming our way? It's not a firefly, it's a human! They're great for breakfast."

Floyd Fly: "I've never seen one before. Are they all half-naked, smelly, sweaty, and noisy like that?"

Mom: "This one is worse than most."

Frida Fly: "But I'm not hungry yet."

Mom: "That's okay, Frida. He will go back the other way in a while, and then he will return again, just as the sun begins to rise - our normal breakfast time. He will even go back and forth some more after that. I remember seeing him do as many as four out-and-back loops here on the Lester Rail Trail. But he's getting old, so he will probably only do around three today. I'm so happy you kids will have a chance to dine on something other than the usual deer and rabbit. Humans are better for you, and they're also what I would call a 'fun food.'"

~

Flynn Fly: "Hey, here he comes again. I'm really hungry now."

Mom: "Okay, kids. Get ready to feast!"

Frida Fly: "Eww. What's that smell?"

Mom: "Oh no. He must have sprayed deet on himself. Now that stuff is mixed with his sweat, and he's even more disgusting than before. Try to land on a patch of his skin without so much deet smell. It'll still be worth the effort. You will have a wonderful meal."

Floyd Fly: "I don't think he likes us. Why is he waving his arms and slapping himself like that? Does he think that will keep us away?"

Mom: "Humans are stupid, and this one is especially so. If they weren't so good to eat, I would say just leave them alone."

~

Flynn Fly: "Why isn't he coming back? I wasn't finished eating."

Mom: "He must have kept going East into the Medina subdivisions where he knows we won't follow. Maybe he's not quite as dumb as I thought. But don't worry. I know he has to come back this way again, sooner or later."

~

Mom: "What did I tell you? He's coming back. Get ready for Second Breakfast."



No comments: