Sunday, December 25, 2022

Not not running today

It's Christmas, and I cannot not go out for a run. By the way, did you know that in some languages, double negatives cancel one another and produce an affirmative; while in other languages, doubled negatives intensify the negation. Although English is generally in the former category, there are inconsistencies even within this here language itself (for example, "I don't owe nuthin' to nobody" is an example of a double-negative that's still a negative.) But in today's context, the "cannot not go out for a run" means that I do indeed have to go.

Out is the key word here. It's always possible to bang out a few miles on the 'ole dreadmill. But (once again) it's Christmas. I cannot remember a Christmas in which I did not go out for a run. Oh okay, maybe back in the seventies, before running was a thing. Thus, it's possibly been as many as fifty years since I've spent a Christmas day without a run. I like to think of the run as a gift I give to myself.

One possible reason to not not not run is that it's cold outside. So cold, that I haven't run outdoors since last Thursday, three days ago. This morning's weather is actually an improvement: the temperature is +9F and the windchill is up to -17F; positively toasty. In preparation, I unbox my new Adidas Terex trail running shoes, and I don my silver mid-1980s Adidas Gore-tex running jacket and pants. Along with my balaclava, hat, ski gloves, lighted vest, and several additional layers, I'm ready to go. 

The roads in my neighborhood are covered with packed-down snow. I get decent traction with the new shoes. At first, it doesn't seem cold at all. But then whoa: a gust of wind hits me from the side. Hooboy, that wakes me up. I quickly re-learn how much of a difference it makes whether I'm running with the wind, or into it. 

The gore-tex, the gloves, the shoes, etc. are all doing their jobs. It's me that can't get moving. I trudge through the subdivision, not seeing a moving car until the start of mile four, my last. It's quiet, dark, and peaceful. Just like Christmas is supposed to be. I find myself enjoying the whole experience at least as much as anticipated.

Having said all this, it's nice when it's over, and I can get back into the house to warm back up. It took over an hour to do those four cold, snowy (and at some points, icy) miles. But I'm happy I did it. And, as they say, the best part about the run is..... it's over!

Merry Christmas.

No comments: