Tuesday, October 10, 2023

More observation

After one day of spectating, I thought I'd do it all again. The Canal Corridor 100-mile run was still going on when I awoke. My plan was to drive to Akron to watch some of my friends finish.

But that didn't work out so well - Larry Orwin ran much too fast, and I wasn't able to get there in time. After altering my plans a little, I did manage to catch up with Doug Rafalski. He was at the Ira Trailhead, mile 90, and it was still dark and rainy. Luckily, he had his sister, Karen, to pace him. She got him through that cold rain during the night and was getting him through now as well. I tried to help a little.

After I saw them and walked with them some, I went out for my own run. It was slow going, but I almost never fail to enjoy a run on the old Towpath.

Then, I realized that I might possibly be able to see them yet one more time. I drove to Akron to catch them at mile 94. Slow going, but it was light now, and we all knew Doug would make it. He did.

Although it was indeed inspiring to watch Doug and all the other 100-milers, I'm still not inclined to make another attempt. But if I ever did, Canal Corridor would be the place to do it.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Thanks for being out there two days. I purposely ran that slowly to give you another opportunity to come out ;)

Doug (and Greg wasn't running, just me)

Dan Horvath said...

Oops. I corrected the name screwup.