Sunday, April 14, 2024

Boston 2.24 Race Report

Firstly, Boston 2.24 is not the race in Boston, MA, it's just the one in Fredericksburg, OH. That's near Wooster, and also well into Amish country. I like the course. It's out and back on the Holmes County Trail. There is a full marathon and a half, all with Boston MA themes, such as the sign for Heartbreak Hill, which is a small graded uphill section at about mile 21 and the Citco sign near mile 24. I realized a week ago that, after arriving home and being unwell for a time, a marathon was not a good idea for me. I was simply not ready. (I am now on antibiotics for the upper respiratory problem.) Thus secondly, I would not be running a marathon today. Just a half.

How would this old, not-so-well guy do at such a race? He's done this little race before. This year, it's even littler. Just a small, friendly run in Amish-land. The trail heads mostly South, towards Millersburg. At first, the headwind is strong and it begins to look like it will be a tough day. But then, as we approach a buggy with some Amish folks around it, the winds seem to calm down and it warms up a little. Speaking of buggies, we'd been warned to "avoid stepping in the mud, because it's not mud." I think I am able to keep my shoes mostly clean.

My pace is pretty close to nine minutes per mile. There are a few others that seem to be in the same boat. If I can keep this going, my time will be just a little under two hours. My time at the 6.55-mile turnaround point is 58:30 - just about right. Now, things ought to get easier, methinks. I'll have the wind at my back, and everything will be fine, methinks.

Am I able to unleash the beast, you ask? Put the peddle to the metal? Sprint to the finish? Not quite. It's all I can do to just barely maintain that nine-minute pace. Just barely. It even gets hot as the expected tailwind doesn't do its job. I cross the finish line in tenth place with a time of 1:57 and change. Just made it (under two hours and at 9-minutes-per-mile).

I love me these nice, tiny little races. The only thing is, it seemed much tougher than it should have been. I want to get back to running this pace for a full marathon, not just a half? Think I'll get there? Just wait and see.




No comments: