Thursday, September 01, 2005

Orion Rise

I wanted to repeat my "Out the Door Before Four" scenario, but it was actually about 6 minutes after by the time I actually hit the road. Same plan as usual: two eight-mile loops followed by a four. This time I was hoping to run each 4-mile segment a bit faster, and to do the last 4 in under 28 minutes.

During my first eight, I noticed Orion beginning to rise in the east, especially as I was headed south on dark dark Substation Road. During the second eight, it was even more beautiful. As usual, it was following the Pleides cluster, part of Taurus the Bull, which was now high in the sky. A bright object, probably Mars, was also near the Pleides. Far off in the east below Orion, and just starting to rise was Sirius and the thin crescent moon. Altogether it was a spectacular scene - the likes of which I haven't seen for months.

Other than dodging the early morning traffic, it was a good run. My four-mile splits were:

33:14
32:52
32:07
32:48
28:59

overall: 2:40:02

Didn't quite make my goal of sub-28 for those last 4 though. Gotta work on that.

No comments: