Sunday, January 18, 2009

Running in London - Week of January 18, 2009

Sunday: It's never *that* bad a day if you can manage to get a run in. So having nothing else to do, and not the gumption to do any sightseeing, I decided to just take an afternoon run from my hotel. It was bright and sunny and in the mid-forties. That's much better than where I came from. And it's supposed to rain most of the rest of the week. All the more reason to run whilst I can.

I ran west from the hotel, on the walking path of Bath road. I was moving EXTREMELY slowly. My legs were stiff and tired from all the flying. I managed to go a mile plus, then turned left onto some side roads. I was eventually running through a quaint small village. I bit further on I turned back, too tired to do any more. I'm calling it 5 at a 9.5 minute pace. And that's probably being generous.

Tuesday: Now that I've had my one nice day here, it's now cold and wet. So I hit the hotel mill and banged out 15 miles. This was my best run since the Fall Classic Half - I averaged about 7:30, and even managed to get down to tempo (sub-7) pace for miles 11, 12 and 13. I almost feel like a runner again. I've never figured out why I do so much better on hotel dreadmills than my own.

2 comments:

Clifford Running said...

Have a good trip Dan. You are right about being better than where you came from. I haven't run a mile outside since last Sunday til today. I don't remember a day last winter that I thought it was to cold to run. Now they come in bunches. See you soon. Ladd

Dan Horvath said...

I hear there's a heat wave - that it's up in the 20s. You should go shirtless.

Today's Tale: Torturous Track Tempo Training Trot

People often ask what we runners think about as we're running all those miles. We think about blog post titles such as this one. And whe...