Wednesday, August 31, 2016

TM Speech: The Kid and I (Some, but Only a Little Running Content)

Dearest Readers,


I have recently given some speeches in connection with my Toastmasters International membership. Some are related to running, and some are not. When possible, I will publish the speeches. This is one of them.




The Kid and I





Introduction
  • This is my Icebreaker speech. I believe the general purpose of icebreaker speeches is for new members to talk a little bit about themselves.
  • This will be a very slight departure from that format.


About the Kid
  • I am going to tell you about a “friend” of mine, who is known as “The Kid”.
  • I’ve known The Kid for a long time. He and I have many things in common. But we have some significant differences, too.
  • My goal is to inform you about The Kid, but in the process, have you also learn something about me.
  • They say you can’t give yourself a nickname.
  • But sometimes, that’s not true. In the late 1990’s a popular movie came out called, “The Big Lebowski”. It starred Jeff Bridges in the title role.
  • In the film, the Lebowski character, a bowler, gave himself a nickname of “The Dude.” The Dude’s friends merely put up with this. One of the film’s catch-phrases is, “The Dude Abides”.
  • It’s like this with The Kid. He gave himself the name, and I and our other friends, merely put up with it.

 The Kid’s Work Life
  • Like me, The Kid has over 40 years of experience in the IT world.
  • Like me, The Kid is a Project Planning Analyst (PPA) in the Enterprise Project Management Office (EPMO).
  • The Kid analyzes and estimates projects during their initiation. He also collects and analyzes other project metrics.
  • Me and The Kid are part of a great team, but here’s the difference between us: The Kid thinks he’s really good at what he does. He thinks he’s “special.” I, on the other hand, do really know better.

 Outside of Work
  • The Kid loves to travel. He even writes a travel blog. I also like to travel. But a blog? Who would want to read someone’s travel blog?
  • The Kid likes to cook and make his own beer. But I can tell you that The Kid’s cooking is pretty good sometimes, and pretty bad other times. And although he thinks his beer is pretty good, I think it’s actually pretty bad. (I don’t know how to tell him.)
 


Running
  • Like me, The Kid is a keen and accomplished runner.
  • Unlike me, The Kid writes a running blog. I think: who on earth would want to read such a thing. What could be more boring or just plain stupid?
  • Most importantly, The Kid thinks he’s “still” a top runner. I know that he’s getting older and slowing down, but how can I tell him?


Narcissism
  • Narcissism is defined as “A disorder in which a person has an inflated sense of self-importance”.
  • I wondered if it was narcissistic to refer to oneself in the Third Person, so I asked The Kid about this.
  • The Kid doesn’t think so. He says he’s too important to be narcissistic.
  • As always, The Kid Abides.

No comments:

It was dark in the park

It was dark in the park, Goes the snark remark. Today’s runner tried to be quick off the mark, But with the dark so stark, H...