Sunday, July 21, 2019

Annual MCRR Poorly Organized Summer Run and Picnic


The 2019 version of the Annual MCRR Poorly Organized Summer Run and Picnic at Hubbard Valley County Park lived up to its name and reputation. Hot and humid, check. Some great running, check. Lots of fun, check. Poorly organized, double-check.

The early rain gave way to clouds, humidity, and mud, and that eventually gave way to sun, heat, and even more humidity. Being the Race Director (indeed, the entire Race Committee), I took it upon myself to lead the first 2.6-mile loop. At least I thought it was 2.6 miles. It may have been a little short, but I’m sticking to my distance anyway.

Although it didn’t rain much, the trails were surprisingly muddy. The humidity wasn’t so much a surprise, however; it was expected. When the sun came out later on, things got real. It hit around 88 degrees by the time we were done.

I ran early miles with Debbie Horn, Christy Gnat, Beth Bugner, Kelly Parker, Frank Dwyer, and Bob Pokorny; probably others as well. Later miles were with Ladd Clifford (it has been years since we ran so far together) and Debbie Horn. It was great to catch up with so many of these friends, and of course great that they all showed up in the first place. Altogether, eighteen brave MCRR souls ran this day.

Most of the gang never planned to run the full 50K (12 laps), but I did. So it seems, did Debbie. She was stalking me and Ladd, and I slowed more and more each loop. She and I wound up running the last one together, where we continued our previous conversation involving travel tales. That helped pass the time and make the last lap not quite as bad as the previous couple.

Yes, I’ll still call this a 50K, even though it may have been a tad short. And yes, I’ll still call this a win, even though I tied with the only other 50K finisher, Debbie.

Now, on to bigger and better things. Wait. What could be bigger or better than this?

No comments: