Monday, July 01, 2019

Junk Miles

There was a time when I considered anything slower than nine-thirty per mile pace to be junk miles. These days, if I can run but one mile at that speed, it's cause for celebration.

Just kidding. I can do two, sometimes three entire miles at 9:30; sometimes even all in a row.

Back to the old days. I went through a phase where I declared war on junk miles. No miles, not even one, would be slower than 9:30. Not for an entire year. Guess what? I did it. And here's the further surprise: it worked. I actually got faster and had a good year. But alas. It didn't last.

These days, I don't think there's an upper limit as far as pace is concerned. My junk miles have junk miles. Anything goes.

Today's run is a good example. It's Monday, and for a variety of reasons, Mondays aren't such good running days, so I didn't expect much. Even so, I did want to do something of substance, what with the Twin Sizzler looming in a few days. At least ten miles. And at least some speed of some kind.

I hit the Mayfield track at exactly 5:00 AM. It's cool; the best running weather in a couple weeks. I start slow. Very slow. Excruciatingly slow.But that's okay. After 24 Lester Rail Trail miles on Saturday, and hellacious Hinckley Hills Sunday, setting the world on fire isn't an option today. But anything at all faster than average, combined with a decent overall total of miles will do.

People come by, so I slow down some more. This is the opposite of what usually happens. When there are others around, I generally want to show off at least a little. Then more people come. And of course I slow down even more.

Now I'm barely walking. It takes about an hour and a half to run seven shuffling miles. And that's all the time I have. I stumble back to the car and go to work. I didn't do ten, and I didn't even do anything of substance. I'm a miserable failure.

Okay, maybe not quite so miserable. Things truly aren't that bad. It was just time for a stinker. And this was it.

No comments: