Saturday, June 18, 2022

A word about pace

Volume and intensity are the two main ingredients required for improvement. Volume is generally the more critical, and should be attended to first. I usually think of pace as being more concerned with intensity (read: speed) than volume. That said, I can't help thinking a little about my pace, even as I concern myself mostly with weekly mileage and long-ish run length.

I am trying hard to get back up to 60 or more miles per week, and also to get my long-ish runs back up to truly long-run lengths of 18 miles and up. Today's goal was 14 miles - the distance from Peninsula to Brecksville and back via the Towpath. I wasn't concerned about the pace; I just needed the distance.

But it's hard to not think, just a little, about how fast I go. After getting started all alone in the dark, fireflies lighting the way, I start slow, but then I begin to run each mile a little faster. Would I be able to continue the trend for all 14 miles? Short answer: no. But 1 through 13 did indeed fit the trend.



It's my longest and best-paced run in a long while. It was also a beautiful morning. Great to be back on the towpath once again. Sorry for being so pleased with myself.

No comments: