Thursday, December 11, 2008

A Pain in the Butt

That back pain I've had for the past month and a half has moved down. It's not overly painful except when I drive; then it's unbearable. If I have to go anywhere in the car for more than 15 minutes, I know I'll be in excruciating pain. If Debbie's with me, I can let her drive.

I'm fighting this every way I know: strengthening my back, crunches, stretching, light weights, etc. I'm taking glucosamine/chondritin and zinc. No improvement yet.

Coincidentally, I had a physical yesterday. I'd had one a year and a half ago, but that one was worthless. Prior to that it had been 4 or more years. Of course I told the doctors about the pain. The prognosis? Take ibuprofen and it'll probably go away in a month or so. I could also have a muscle relaxer if I wanted. I didn't. If I hadn't had this whole thing before a few times, I'd be upset. But based on my experience those other times, I think they're right.

Notice I said doctor*s*. After the nurse/assistent took my BP, pulse, Ht, Wt, other initial info, another female person walked in and asked me a bazillion questions, trying to get my medical history. At one point the exchange was this:

**Are you sexually active?
-Yes.
**With men or women?
-Women.
**One or more than one?
-One.
**Are you married?
-Yes, and it's the *same* one.
**Sorry we have to ask you some of these personal questions sir.
-I was only making a joke. I was concerned that my wife may see this record. Ha ha.
**No laughter.

It turned out that this person was a doctor in training of some sort. She had me get into the gown and then came back in with my real doctor. He explained that she was and intern being trained, and that they'd be doing the exam together. I said fine.

And it was fine. I had no problem with it. The only strange part was the prostate exam. They seemed to spend an awful lot of time taking turns probing, pounding, pushing, prying, prodding and poking. And having a jolly discussion about it the whole time.

I'm glad I made their day.

No comments: