Monday, June 22, 2009

Stamina

I've been talking about speed and strength, but there's a third component of running improvement: stamina. It's the ability to hold a relatively fast pace for a relatively long time. In order to improve stamina, one would do tempo runs and longer intervals at slightly slower than top speed. Today I worked on my stamina.

I took a long 5-mile route to the track and then did a 3-mile tempo run there. Although I've done a few on the mill, I haven't done an outside tempo run in a long time. I was very, very happy just to be able to do the 3 consecutive miles under 7 minutes each. Then I struggled home.

Now I've got to recover enough to be able to do the speedwork tomorrow.

No comments:

It was dark in the park

It was dark in the park, Goes the snark remark. Today’s runner tried to be quick off the mark, But with the dark so stark, H...