Thursday, October 22, 2020

Running in Kentucky

We're visiting Mammoth Cave National Park and Cumberland Gap National Historical Park. For the first couple of nights (and to visit the former), we stayed in Horse Cave, KY. I ran a few miles from our Horse Cave hotel to the village proper of Horse Cave. I got to explore the town, but the run there and back on the busy highway wasn't so nice.

My second run in Horse Cave was better. I ran East on Fisher Ridge Road, then back on Flint Ridge Road. Going out, it was dark, rural roads through farms and forests. The only problem was some untethered dogs. A stick and the headlamp helped me get through. Coming back on Flint Ridge was nicer. It was beginning to get light, and I could see for miles. It was quite scenic.

After visiting Cumberland Gap, we stayed in Corbin, KY. My run there was, at least, interesting. I managed to get away from the Fairfield, the Baymont Inn, Knight's Inn, Quality Inn, and the Hampton Inn. Past the Love's, the Cracker Barrell, Hardee's, Sonny's BBG. Away from McDonalds, Wendy's, Shell, BP, etc. This time, I actually did manage to get away from the I75 interchange with all the trucks, traffic, and all the other stuff fairly quickly. The only fly in today's ointment was that I ran so slowly that I didn't get very far at all. Oh well. At least I did run.


No comments: