Saturday, February 06, 2021

Tuf

My Nephew-In-Law, Todd Chaisson was/is in a glam-metal band called Tuf. Formed in 1985, Tuf was at its most popular in the 1990s, and loosely continues to this day (hence the use of 'was/is'). This isn't about the band, however. This, my dear friends, is a running blog. I was going to call this post 'Tuff Stuff,' but tuf by itself sounded better. And then I thought I'd better note that other use of the word.

Tuff stuff is what it takes to run through winter in these parts. I don't consider myself in possession of a great deal of 'tufness.' Although I still venture outside for some runs, I spend far too much time on my crutch: the treadmill. Hence my own self-pejorative term: 'treadmill wimp,' as in, "Dan, the treadmill wimp!"

One guy who does exude tuff stuff is my friend Larry Orwin. Larry runs gobs of miles, and he runs a lot of miles outdoors, weather be damned. I admire that. A couple years ago, Larry suffered a major injury. No one would have expected him to come back as strong as he had been, but, by working hard and being tuf, he did. And he's still out there, working hard, putting in those miles whilst battling the ice and snow of this and every winter.

It's been a couple months since I've run with Larry, mostly due to Covid-19. I hope we can resume our Saturday morning runs again someday soon. Maybe some of his tufness will rub off on me.


Larry and me at a Christmas Day run a couple years ago


No comments: