Tuesday, March 28, 2023

Don't wanna do it

Think of Dana Carvey conjuring George H. W. Bush, saying, "not gonna do it." In this case, it's "don't wanna do it." Of course, I'm now referring to my own thoughts about today's track workout. How could it be anything else?

Last night, after I posted the run on Facebook, there were initially no positive responses such that I was about to cancel the whole thing. Why drive down there to suffer (all alone) trying to run hard on a cold morning? I kept thinking, don't wanna do it. But then, at the last moment before I was about to cancel, someone piped up to say they would be there. Now I would have to show up as well.

Five of us showed up; even more than expected. After a warmup and some drills, it was time to start our 800-meter repeats. Now that it was time to get out of my comfort zone, I thought once again, don't wanna do it.

Somehow,  we get through the planned four repeats. After the cooldown, everyone talked for a while, and then they all (except for me) got in their cars to leave. Me? I was only at mile seven miles, and I'd planned to get to ten. But guess what? Don't wanna do it.

I do it anyway. After a while, I decided that I ought to do just one more repeat. Five would be nice. After all, five is half of ten, isn't it? But... don't wanna do it.

I do it. It gets done, just like everything else.


No comments: