Sunday, March 26, 2023

Parkway Peepers

It's dark but starry, it's cool, it's lonely but that's okay, it's loud from the peepers but otherwise peaceful, but most of all, it's 5:00 AM. I'm starting my run from the Bonnie Park area of Mill Stream Run Reservation, and my first thought (besides those above) is that it's been a few years. Although I've run here on the Parkway many times, it's nevertheless been a while. I just don't hardly get up here anymore.

It soon becomes clear to me how much I've missed it. As I begin, the Spring Peepers are peeping their little hearts out. It's almost deafening in some areas, but in a good way. The stars are out as well, and they add to the peacefulness. For these first few miles, I am running extremely slowly, and somewhat gingerly. That's because I keep stepping on sticks.

Sticks and branches, victims of last night's windstorm, are all over the all-purpose trail. My headlamp, though bright, doesn't seem to illuminate all of them. I'm worried about tripping, but I manage to not fall completely over, at least at first.

Eleven miles today would be nice. Ten would be pretty good. Easy does it. That's not to say that I shouldn't be running farther and faster these days. Now that I've decided to concentrate on the Cleveland Marathon, you'd think that I'd finally become more focused. Too bad said focusing (even after a couple of days off this week) has yet to occur. Blurriness lives on, today's run included. No matter. I'm not overly concerned with either the distance or the pace this day. I most want to enjoy the sensations, and I am.

After turning around at Bagley Road, I take a few minor detours but mostly head back. It's beginning to get light, and the Spring Peeper songs are gradually replaced by birdsong. My pace improves. It's still not what you'd call fast, but it's better than it was. I finish the run with eleven miles. 

And yes, I did enjoy the sensations. All of them. Now. Next week starts the big push.

No comments: