Wednesday, July 29, 2009

Dodge-Ems

When I was a kid, Dodge-Ems was one of my favorite rides at Geauga Lake and at Cedar Point. Now I continue to enjoy them as an adult.

At Sunday's Double Trouble Race I had a near collision. I was running into the driveway near the store, whilst several runners were running out. With watching the traffic and following the instructions of the volunteer, I almost had a head-on with a guy. Luckily we both swerved out of the way at the last moment.

Similarly, at last night's speedwork, we had the usual large turnout, with several different groups doing different workouts. It's almost impossible to keep out of the way of other runners the entire time. So when we had near collisions, someone had to get out of the way quickly.

By the way, I felt lousy last night, and several folks were tapering for various events, so I almost talked myself out of running hard entirely. But while others did go off to do other things, I managed to run 4 x 1600 by myself. These averaged 6:44, so I still have a very long way to go. But at least I did something of substance.

Today I ran down Substation, starting my run at 5am. I usually enjoy this road because it's pretty and generally quiet at this hour. But not today. There was tons of traffic. And I figured out why: 42 is closed at Kingsbury. So now Substation will have all this traffic for another week or so.

Today's run was so-so. I got 13 in, but they were really slow miles. And they kept getting progressively slower.

No comments: