Saturday, July 04, 2009

North Canton Y 5-Mile

Five pretty good strong miles today. Too bad they weren't all in the North Canton Y 5-Mile race. I started off by running the 2-mile as usual for a warmup. As usual, I did the first mile easy at just under 8 minutes and the second mile hard in 6:10 or so. Pretty decent, thought I. Bodes well for the 5-mile, thought I.

All of those thoughts were as usual too. I've never ever had a good 5-mile race here, but I continue to run it because it's in the race series. So with hopes of finally getting a breakthrough, I started well with a 6:30 mile. Needless to say, it went downhill from there. Even so, I hit mile 3 in just over 20 minutes and mile 4 in just over 27 minutes.

At that point I still had hopes of pulling off a semi-breakthrough. If I could manage a strong mile 5, I might be able to do something like 33 and a half. But it wasn't to be. Instead I fell apart completely. Yeah, there were some hills, but I still should've done better than 7:17 for a 34 and a half. Bad form. The breakthrough will have to wait for another week.

No comments:

It was dark in the park

It was dark in the park, Goes the snark remark. Today’s runner tried to be quick off the mark, But with the dark so stark, H...