Saturday, August 08, 2020

Change of Venue

Notice that there's no day-number as part of the post title. That's because I'm done with GVRAT, Except for trying to make the distance with running miles only. I'll keep track of that and report back by the end of August.


It's cool, crisp, and clear as I begin my long run on the Lester Rail Trail. For the first time this season, I spot Orion rising in the east. This is about as good as it gets for mid-summer running. I didn't run long or hard the last two days. I've got no injuries to speak of. In short, I've got no excuse for not running well today.


Except that I'm not. I'm moving slowly. Too slowly. The bathroom stops don't help, but I've dealt with those kinds of problems before. Mostly, I just can't seem to wake up. This, despite my usual gallon of coffee this morning. So I'm having a lousy run for no reason at all. 


I'd thought about running 24 here this morning. I often do that, but more often, I wind up settling for 18 as a long run total. Today, I am beginning to doubt that I can even do that. I may need to quit altogether. It's too bad that I don't even have an excuse. Other than quitting early, there's only one possible option left for me: a change of venue.


I like the Lester Rail Trail, and I do a great many of my long runs here. But once in a while, it just doesn't work out. Too bad it's not working out today during this beautiful morning. At least I get eleven in before I decide to drive over to the track. But I don't know whether the Buckeye HS track will even be open. It's been locked up lately, and I haven't been there since last year. I suppose that if it's locked, I can go to another track, or truly quit altogether.


Buckeye track is open. Even so, I begin this part of the run at a speed no faster than what I had been doing. Perhaps I really and truly should quit. I try to run a little faster, and I manage to do that. Somehow. Then I go faster and after. Each mile is better than the last. Some soccer or cross-country high school girls begin showing up. The sun is higher and warmer now. And I keep running. And my miles continue to improve.


Until I get eighteen and change, at which point, I'm done. The change of venue worked.

No comments: