Saturday, August 29, 2020

Wooster Brick Run Race Report

Where do I go? It's mile 13 or so (out of 15.5), and I'm downright lost as I run down (and I do mean down) into downtown Wooster. A couple other runners came this way too, but they're now nowhere to be seen. I think I can get there on Bever Street, but it just doesn't seem right. I am currently doing the worst possible thing: just standing there, looking around and wondering. 


I decide to run west, through the College of Wooster campus. There I finally see other runners. I'm back on the course. When I hit mile 14, I determine that I probably lost a third of a mile or so. Not to mention the time I spent standing around. 


Now I start sprinting down (and I do still mean down) into Wooster. These last couple miles are almost entirely down. 


It's not like I didn't pay the price. The hills have been huge. I've done this race before, but I forgot how big they are. And did I mention the humidity? It's about as oppressive as it gets.


I manage to finish in something like 2:24 - a 9:10 pace. The splits were wildly up and down, depending on the hills. I'd thought that maybe a 9-minute pace was doable, but I guess not. I'll take it.


Seeing everyone before, during, and especially after the run was tons of fun. I'd forgotten how much fun racing can be.





No comments: