Thursday, December 31, 2020

2020, by the numbers

2020 was a bad year in too many ways to count. But in terms of my running, it was a mixed bag. Since I'm a numbers guy, I will let the numbers tell the story.

3,895.86 - The number of miles I ran according to my running log. This number includes 198.31 walking miles that I only counted in order to achieve the mileage requirements for the Great Virtual Run Across Tennessee (GVRAT). (I actually walked a lot more than that.)

3,697.55 - The number of miles I ran, after removing the 198.31 walking miles. This is the number I will go with, just to be consistent with my previous running logging. This is the highest annual mileage total I've ever managed.

107,149.99 - Total life-to-date miles I have documented so far.

10.83 (or 10:49) - The average pace for my 2020 running miles. This is abysmally slow, but it's actually faster than my average pace in 2019. So there's that. Of course, it would be slower still if I included the walking miles in the average.

10.10 - The average number of miles I ran each day in 2020 (3697.55 / 366).

273 (and counting) - The number of days of continuous running days I did since the last time I missed a day, which was April 2, 2020. It's the most, ever; I've never been much of a streaker, believing that it is somehow good to take a day or two off each week. I'm not sure what got into me this time. Maybe blame it on GVRAT, or to no swimming due to Covid-19. 

3:49 - The time for my best marathon in 2020. I try to really go for it at one or two marathons a year. This one came at the Boston 2.0 race, and I'm pretty happy with it. I also ran a 3:59 at Tallahassee, and that wasn't bad either, considering the shape I was in. My other marathons - Brunswick, Medina Virtual, and Northern Ohio Virtual - were not so stellar. I also ran the Buckeye Woods 50K (where I was the only finisher, so I guess I won), and a few shorter races, some in Florida. GVRAT, though not really a race, was still a challenge. Covid-19 put a huge dent in my own, and everyone else's racing plans. I'll be happy to return to normal racing once the pandemic is over.


Weekly Mileage



Life-to-date mileage




2 comments:

Zman said...

Lot of miles on those legs. Impressive.

Dan Horvath said...

Glad I can impress you, Mike :)