Monday, December 14, 2020

Test

Took me a minute. Should have known the opposite of a Big Push would be a Small Pull, but for some reason, it wasn't coming to me. Now that it did, here's what it all means. 

Last week's Big Push did start out okay, but I faded quite badly over the weekend. Since my weekly mileage is counted from Monday through Sunday, Saturday and Sunday finish up the week. As of last Friday, things were looking pretty good. All I would need to approach 80 miles for the week was about 18 on Saturday followed by around 10 on Sunday. I can usually do that in my sleep. But as you may have guessed by now, that didn't happen in either my waking or sleeping hours. And that made it a Small Pull instead of a Big Push. Here's why.

Last Thursday I had dental implant surgery. It went just fine. That is, other than the usual feeling of being punched in the face. They also had me on penicillin. No big deal - this isn't my first rodeo. To illustrate that point, Friday's run went fine as well. I purposely cut it a bit short, just to take it easy. Saturday's planned 18 was decidedly not fine. Sunday's run was only marginally better. Here's how this happened.

Just before heading out the door for Saturday's run, I seemed to develop a sudden runny nose. I did not think anything of this until it began to affect my run. That run started slow and then got worse and worse. I barely made it to 8 miles, much less 18, as the sniffling, breathlessness, and general fatigue all conspired against me. These conditions continued to worsen as the day wore on. But it wasn't until late Saturday and early Sunday that I began to worry a little more. Here's why.

Saturday, my daughter Veronica told me that my symptoms, which I thought were due to a cold, could also possibly be from Covid-19. Sunday, I felt at least as bad, if not worse. As noted, I did get out to run Sunday morning. "Don't you always get out of breath when you run?" asked wife Debbie. "Yes," said I, "but not this much." Every attempt at putting a foot forward was met with breathlessness, fatigue, and even some muscle soreness. I did some research and analysis and made a decision. Here's what it was.

It could very well be a cold. Interestingly, when we aren't exposed to very many people due to the pandemic, we not only reduce our chances of getting Covid-19, but also a cold or the flu. So I haven't been sick for a while. But still, a cold is probably the most likely culprit. It also could be a reaction to the surgery, or (more likely) to the penicillin. Or, as I mentioned, it could be the Big One - Covid-19. Whether it's a cold or Covid, it likely came to me during that surgery. I have tried to very safely shop when needed, but that's been the only other possible source of any viral infection of any kind, assuming that's what this is. Regardless of how I may have gotten it, it would really help to know. My decision was to get a Covid-19 test. Here's how that went.

The only testing place I could find on a Sunday was the CVS Wadsworth store. I stayed in my car and used the swab according to the drive-through lady's directions. I dropped it off, and hope to hear back from CVS within three days. The results can't come soon enough. Here's why.

Of course, I'm very worried about spreading anything to my family. As of now, I'm just doing my best to stay isolated. Not to mention that my running went from abysmal to <whatever is much worse than abysmal>. I will report back when I receive the verdict.



No comments: