Tuesday, December 01, 2020

Me and My 1986 Running Pants

It's dark, it's cold, it's windy, and it's snowing sideways. And here I am, playing in the snow. That, at least, was the original intention. Now that I'm out in it, it's not quite as much fun as anticipated.

I reckon that there are about six inches of the stuff. And it's not just regular snow. It's wet/sloppy/slushy/heavy snow. Our street has only been plowed on one side. I pick the unplowed side. I start off running with the wind, and although it's tough to pick up my feet, the conditions don't seem too awful. But then I turn the corner and begin running directly into the wind and blowing snow. And it's about this time that the footing gets worse as well.

It takes me 31 minutes and 57 seconds to cover 1.97 miles. This on a day when I was going to run the usual ten miles. BW50K is still lingering in my bones from two days ago, but I don't feel all that awful. At least I didn't at the start of the run. Now that I've done this much, I decide to call it quits and shovel the driveway.

The pants? I should begin by stating that it took nearly as long to get dressed as it did to run this morning. One of the articles of clothing that I had donned is my pair of Gore-Tex pants from 1986. They're bright silver - almost like a spacesuit. For some reason, I did not also wear the matching jacket. Had I done so, I would have looked like I was ready for a mission to Mars.

Speaking of spacesuits, in 1986, Gore-Tex was new. Or at least it seemed so with regards to running clothes that I was familiar with. I was under the impression that the material had been developed as part of NASA's efforts in space. This article does not mention the space race, so maybe I was wrong about that. Instead, it seems that the invention was more of a serendipitous accident.

In February 1986, I began working at EDS in Michigan. The company sponsored a 5-mile race at the Michigan State Fair each August, and that year our division added an incentive to increase participation: they would reimburse up to $100 for running gear to the runner who best predicted their time. 

My prediction? 32:30. Funny how I can remember something like that from 34 years ago. (It's also funny that I ran two miles in about that time today.) Without my watch, I had no idea how I was doing until I rounded the final turn. Then I was able to see the clock: 32:20. Naturally, I stopped for a brief moment. Then I sauntered in to finish with a couple seconds to spare. I wound up being the closest predictor.

To claim my prize, I shopped for the latest thing: a Gore-Tex running suit. It cost close to the $100 that I would be reimbursed. It was a decent chunk of change back then.

But just look at how long it's lasted! It will probably outlive me.


Just out of the washing machine after today's run (not me, the pants)


1 comment:

Zman said...

Nice story. Great win and longevity om those pants. Still thinking about going out to snowplow at 11:40.