Friday, December 25, 2020

Quite a White (A Christmas Run Story)

There's a time crunch, but I've got two hours to get my usual ten miles in. Shouldn't be a problem. Should it?

The time restriction is based on the Grandkids' Christmas presents opening schedule. I certainly don't want to be late for that. Starting this early (5:00 AM) should make it all (the run and my presence for the presents) possible. But maybe I should have factored in the snow.

There's a lot of the white stuff - maybe ten inches. I begin my trudging. Early on, I spot daughter Veronica shoveling her nearby driveway. She's doing so so that we will be able to get into her driveway later. After chatting a little, I resume trudging.

It's still snowing. In fact, it's a whiteout at times. But it's also quiet and peaceful. I have the subdivision roads all to myself. I reflect on how I could have just stayed on the warm, dry treadmill this morning. But this is so much better. Even though I won't get as far. Not nearly so. I also reflect on my recent running. It hasn't been very good, but at least it's been something. Outdoor ten-milers for the past two days, plus some treadmill tens before that. I will probably need to stay on the mill for tomorrow's planned long run.

Did I mention that I'm trudging? I can barely pick my feet out of the high snow, and there are even a couple slick spots where some plowing had taken place. My planned ten becomes five, as I call it a day, and begin clearing the snow off my own driveway.

After all that, I do manage to catch the kids and their presents.

Merry Christmas to all!

No comments: