Monday, May 29, 2023

Loggerheads

Lager Heads is the appropriate name of a brewery / barbecue restaurant that is halfway through my eleven-mile country roads course. 

Loggerheads means to strongly disagree with someone or some group, as in, they are at loggerheads.

Loggerhead means being a blockhead or a type of sea turtle.

It's a little after six, the sun is just beginning to rise, and I'm running by Lager Heads. You could say that I'm also at loggerheads with myself, between the self that tells me that I ought to be able to run faster and better and my other self. My other self is more practical, however. That self understands that I just ran a half-marathon two days ago, and followed that up with the hilly nine-mile run at Hinckley yesterday. That self cuts me some slack.

Finally, I'm running about as fast as a turtle. As true as this statement may be, it's a little bit of a stretch to try to bring in the final meaning of the word, loggerhead. Unless you wanted to also call me a blockhead. That's not a stretch at all.

Today's run does go painfully slow, but I do manage to get through it on this beautiful and thankfully quiet Memorial Day.

No comments: