Monday, May 08, 2023

Running with the monkeys

Here in Kenya's Amboseli National Park, you have to shoo monkeys out of your way whenever you walk or run anywhere. That's new for me. So is spotting a hippo just beyond the camp's swimming pool. So is having Mount Kilimanjaro in the distance, but large enough to take up a good portion of the sky.

I didn't run outside of the camp/resort area. Therefore, I only get in a mile or two. It was the same story in Ngorongoro and Serengeti, the last two places we stayed. No more than two-ish miles, due to a) lack of time, b) fear of getting eaten, and c) no place to go. Besides, I don't have the energy to get any kind of pace going. Even if I did, I'd trip over the big, flat stones that make up the roadways.

I decide to leave my old, worn running shoes as we depart our final location. The housekeeping staff runs inside to make sure we didn't forget anything when they spot the shoes. I am told that I have to sign a statement to the effect that I left them on purpose.

The Africa adventure was just that, but not so much with regard to the running.

Running in Amboseli National Park


No comments: