Thursday, August 18, 2005

Tahoe Triple Training - Twenty

Against the advice of Dave Hays, I've decided to try three long runs in three consecutive days. Today is day one.

Up at 3:20, out the door by four. The weather was decent, but, at 69F, not quite as cool as I would've liked. At least there wasn't too much humility. I don't like humility. As I've done on other occasions, I decided to do two 8-mile out and back loops, and then a 4-miler.

My back's been bothering me lately, but it wasn't too bad today. I managed to hold a steady pace throughout the run. My 4-mile splits were: 32:29, 33:30, 32:24, 32:31, 33:30. I finished in 2:44:26; not too bad, but I would've liked to have done it in 2:40. I like to think that I was just pacing myself for my next two twenties scheduled for tomorrow and Saturday.

So much for this installment of Tahoe Triple Training. I've still got about 6 or so weeks to go. What scares me is that even if I manage these three consecutive twenties, it'll still be only 60 miles in three days, whilst I'll need to be able to do 78.6 at altitude when October rolls around.

No comments: