Thursday, March 11, 2021

Achilles' heel and other invulnerability



Achilles (not me - I wouldn't pose like this)


When Achilles was an infant, it was prophesized that he would perish at a young age. To prevent his death, his mother Thetis took Achilles to the River Styx, which was supposed to offer powers of invulnerability, and dipped his body into the water. But as Thetis held Achilles by the heel, this one area was not washed over by the water of the magical river. Achilles grew up to be a man of war who survived many great battles. Achilles grew up to become the greatest warrior who ever lived. 

Achilles was said to have died from an arrow wound to his heel, shot by Paris of Troy near the end of the Trojan War.

There was some horribly horrendous hobbling around the house yesterday following the 'discomfortable' speedwork. That's what happens when I try something stupid, like running hard or long: my Achilles Tendonitis (read: Achilles Heel) acts up. Yesterday it acted up big time - as bad as it's been in months. Today's short shuffle was still painful.

Speaking of invulnerability (we hope), Debbie and I were fortunate enough to receive our second Moderna Vaccine shots yesterday. Now our immunity should be at its greatest in ten to fourteen days. Some thoughts about this:

1) Today I'm now sore all over, not just my heel. This could still be a result of yesterday's run, but I think it's at least partly because of the shot. This soreness didn't help me during today's neighborhood sojourn.
2) We should be able to spend more time with, and be in closer proximity to our grandsons. In fact, I plan to be taking Vincent to a Youth Track program that begins next week.
3) We think we will be good to go with regards to a resumption of travel. We have some plans in the works.
4) I can begin to run with my friends once again. If they'll have me.

No comments: