Wednesday, May 17, 2006

Running in Germany

5/16/06 and earlier
Been a long time since I've had time to write. Here I am in Dusseldorf and running is pretty good here. Monday I did about 8 miles going north along the Rhine. Very nice run/walk and bike paths all over, especially along the river. There are several there. Yesterday I overslept, and today I ran for 2 hours along the river, mostly south. I'll call it 15 miles. After getting to the end of the path, I turned back and then crossed the bridge and ran on that side including some exploration around old town. Came back across the closest of the three bridges. I almost didn't make it out because of the cool rain. That rain subsided after about an hour.

I also ran about 16 on Saturday in Norwalk. 6 were on the mill in about 42.5 minutes, and the last 10 were on the roads, some familiar, in about 82 minutes.

5/18/06
I was very tired but I had time in the morning, so I set out to do 20. My legs wouldn't have it though. I only did about 10 along the river. I went north again and this time made it as far as the northern bridge. It got rural quickly, but still nice paths to run on.

After a breakfast AND a lunch buffet, I headed out for another late afternoon run. I mostly wanted to check out the restaurants that are along the river so we can walk to them tonight. They're there all right - about a mile and a half away. I did about 4 altogether - still slow and tired.

Don't know why these ole legs would be tired. I really haven't been running much. And now I'm *starting* to get the right amount of sleep.

5/19/06
14 along the river - this time I crossed the bridge and went north on the eastern side. This was the best running yet - nice path and scenery the whole way. Good steady pace today - maybe a bit better than 8 mpm. Nice clear, cool (about 50-55) morning.

5/20/06
Just a couple around the neighborhood near the hotel.

5/21/06
Marathon day, and I'm missing it. Had planned on a long one, but didn't get quite as many in as I thought I might. Simply ran out of time. Twas a nice day for running along the Rhine. Besides the usual morning questions of how far/fast, I have to decided north or south on the Rhine, as well as east or west bank.

Today I went south on the west bank to the 3rd bridge, crossed over into town, and then continued south on the east bank. Although the path kept going a long way, the scenery wasn't always so great - there were junk yards, rail junctions, and other industry. I finally got to some nicer parts, but then the path ended. After heading back and across the first bridge, I went south again to get about 4-5 more in.

Altogether 21 in 2:50. Not bad - steady the whole way.

I now know that north on the east bank seems to be best for long runs, and south on the west bank is best for shorter ones.

5/22/06
I believe it's been raining every day at least some point during my run. Today it started off bright and sunny as I headed north on the path along the road (parallel with, but slightly away from the river). As I got to Meerbrush, I spotted a storm with rain and lightning to the north and west, and it appeared to be headed my way. I turned and headed over to the river and went back the usual way, picking up the pace. It rained on me for the last mile and a half. Altogether I'll call it 6 in 46.5 minutes.

5/23/06
Another 14 along the Rhine just like the other day - all to the north on the east bank. And very nice again too. Only problem was the wind - it was ferocious, especially on the return. And at 50F, it really felt cold. Still managed negative splits and did it in 1:50.

Late in the afternoon I went out again. Tried to avoid the rain as it was sunny for a minute when I was starting out. The clouds moved in quickly as I turned around as planned at 16 minutes (at the 2nd bridge). With big dark clouds coming fast I hit the overdrive button and made it back in 13 minutes. I think the distance was legit because I checked the pace against one set of kilometer markings.

5/25/06
My last run for this trip was a long and wet one along the Rhine as always. This time I went south on both banks. Also ran around downtown and harbor area a bit. It was cold (50 or so), windy and wet (constant rain). But I did about 21 at a fairly steady pace, and don't feel too bad now that I'm done. 2 hours 53 minutes.

Now I can go home.

No comments:

It was dark in the park

It was dark in the park, Goes the snark remark. Today’s runner tried to be quick off the mark, But with the dark so stark, H...