Tuesday, July 28, 2020

Day 89: A Bad Millennium

Some of this appeared in a 2011 post. It seems appropriate to bring it back up today.

Word has it that legendary sea explorer Jacques Cousteau and his crew discovered a sunken ship from ancient Greece. Among the artifacts brought up was a bottle of wine. Cousteau opened the bottle and took a good swig. He immediately spat it out, exclaiming with Gallic aplomb, "That was a bad century!"

Another story: some years ago, a radio announcer said this about the Chicago Cubs (who had been doing poorly): "Any team can have a bad century... but now they're having another one."

I mention these things again because I do appear to be having not just a bad day (it didn't go well .. again), a bad week (last week was decent, but unfortunately, this week, not so much), a bad month (it's July: the heat and everything else slows me down), a bad year (I'll blame the coronavirus and GVRAT), but a bad millennium. Keen observers will note that I skipped 'century'. Sorry. 

Maybe I should just give up and wait till the next millennium rolls around.

No comments: