Saturday, April 08, 2006

Today's Race

I always like races that have a lot of words in them. Today's was the Cleveland West Road Runners Club Spring Classic Half-Marathon and Five-K. The plan was to run the first 7 miles easy - maybe about 7 minute pace, and then hammer the last 6.1, bringing the pace down to about 6:30, and completing the whole thing in about 89 minutes.

Didn't happen. I felt like I was running very slowly, but those first couple miles were in the 6:30 to 6:40 range. After about 3 1/2, we turned back into the cold wind. And I do mean cold - it was 33, but that strong westerly wind brought the wind chill well into the 20s. So the 2nd quater of the race was tough. I went through the half-way point in this double out and back course in about 43:40 or so. About 2 minutes faster than I had planned. What would this do to my 2nd half hammering?

I did manage to pick up the pace just a bit. Most of the 2nd half miles were right around 6:30, even those going into the wind. I powered away from a group I was running with at about mile 8, but one guy came back and passed me at about mile 12. I still did finish fairly strong - my last mile was my best - a 6:21.

I came in at about 1:26:40. So I did manage to do those last 6.1 in just under 40 minutes; at least this went according to plan. I think it was about 10th place overall and 1st in my age group. They gave me my award as I crossed the finish line - I like that. This may be the fastest I've ever run this course, and I've done it many times. It's also my best half in about 5 years or so. Still not quite where I want to be yet though.

Now I gotta rest/recover, train and then taper in the 9 days between now and Boston.

No comments:

It was dark in the park

It was dark in the park, Goes the snark remark. Today’s runner tried to be quick off the mark, But with the dark so stark, H...