Saturday, July 09, 2005

Today's Run - 2005-07-09

40 miles in 3 days. With one day off in the middle. That's 21 Thursday and 19 this morning. Not bad - I've done more, but it's a start. On my Tahoe Training that is. Only one problem: I've gotta do 78.6 miles in three days at altitude. I'm supposed to be taking it easy, and I am taking more days off. But so far, the mileage is about the same. Next week will be easier.

It was a glorious morning here in NE Ohio. Bright sun with temps in the 60s. Cool at the start of the run and warm, but not humid, at the finish. Lots and lots of other runners, bikers and walkers were out on the towpath. Maybe more than I've ever seen at any one time.

Dave and I started in Peninsula, one of my favorite parts of the entire planet. We ran south from there, and ended up doing some parts of the towpath that we've never done before. Got into Akron proper, and even discovered that the old running store in the valley, which had been out of business, had reopened as a Second Sole. Of course by that point the towpath is no longer wooded, but winding through strip malls and busy streets. That was about the turnaound point anyway.

Took us 1:20 to get down there; 1:16 to get back. I was pretty shot, but we kept to the 8:10 or so pace most of the way. Dave did an extra mile or so afterwards.

We drove down to Second Sole after the run to check out the wares. That was a long ride! Dave bought some Asics Nimbus' and I got talked into the new Nike Free. "Not a shoe, but a training tool." We'll see.

No comments: