Monday, July 21, 2008

Hamstrung

I was going to try to duplicate last week's excellent speedwork session. I didn't care to exceed/surpass it; just duplicate it. Even though I was tired, I did start out fast. Maybe too fast, as it turned out. I did the first two 1200s in 4:39 and 4:38. That's when my left hamstring started to hurt.

My lower left leg, ankle and foot had been hurting for a while anyway. I've been running through the pain. But this hamstring thing is different. Same leg, different area. Other hamstring injuries have been more sudden, but I didn't feel any immediate pain, just general pain that came on gradually. Not good.

I did run the next one in a decent 4:42, but by then I knew I had a problem. I was going to quit, but decided to run slowly for a while. The next slow 1200 meters were in 4:56, so I decided to complete the session by doing two more. Those times, 4:53 and 4:52 were slow, but at least I was doing it. I averaged 4:48 and did the 12 miles in 94 and a half minutes.

I'm icing the ole hamstring.

No comments:

It was dark in the park

It was dark in the park, Goes the snark remark. Today’s runner tried to be quick off the mark, But with the dark so stark, H...