Monday, July 21, 2008

Hamstrung

I was going to try to duplicate last week's excellent speedwork session. I didn't care to exceed/surpass it; just duplicate it. Even though I was tired, I did start out fast. Maybe too fast, as it turned out. I did the first two 1200s in 4:39 and 4:38. That's when my left hamstring started to hurt.

My lower left leg, ankle and foot had been hurting for a while anyway. I've been running through the pain. But this hamstring thing is different. Same leg, different area. Other hamstring injuries have been more sudden, but I didn't feel any immediate pain, just general pain that came on gradually. Not good.

I did run the next one in a decent 4:42, but by then I knew I had a problem. I was going to quit, but decided to run slowly for a while. The next slow 1200 meters were in 4:56, so I decided to complete the session by doing two more. Those times, 4:53 and 4:52 were slow, but at least I was doing it. I averaged 4:48 and did the 12 miles in 94 and a half minutes.

I'm icing the ole hamstring.

No comments: