Wednesday, July 23, 2008

Today's Long Run

Things were going ok during today's long run. Not great, just ok. It was warm (about 70) and very humid. Most of my miles were steady at about 8 and a half minute pace, or just slightly better. My hamstring is still tender, but I don't think it's a major tear. I'd just better watch my speed. I'd decided to run from home rather than the rail trail, but I was still gonna do 24 no matter what. I was just hoping not to die at the end. A fast finish would be really nice.

After doing 9-mile and 11-mile loops at that steady pace, I now had 20 miles completed in 2:47:30 or so. Pulling out all the stops, I took a GU on top of the usual liquids. The last 4 would be on the president streets. I did the first of those in 8 flat, and then I was actually able to pick it up. It's been a real long time since I've been able to finish one of these long runs at marathon pace, but that's what I managed to do today. I did the last 3 in 20:45, and the whole run in 3:16. That's improvement.

No comments: