Sunday, June 14, 2020

Day 45: Time Constraints

A few posts ago, I discussed constraint satisfaction. I talked about performance and distance; all the constraints that we set for ourselves. For some reason though, I neglected to mention an important one: time constraints. Time constraints as in, I have to be done by 7:30 so that I can clean up and eat breakfast before our family hike that leaves at 8:00.

This means that in order to get my planned eleven miles in, I have to leave by a certain time, and maintain a certain pace. Most of us don't like constraints such as these. We don't like deadlines; they make us feel too... constrained.

But deadlines and requirements also cause, or force, us to be more successful, as defined by getting done what's needed. I suppose I understand this as well as most folks. So I wasn't overly concerned about getting my eleven in within the timeframe I had today. I just had to do it. Guess what? I did.

It was a pretty decent run, especially coming after yesterday's stinker. You know. The one where I had plenty of time.

I am still hoping to be done with the west-east crossing of Tennessee by the end of this upcoming week. It's a constraint I'm placing upon myself, and one that I'm thinking about.

No comments: